I often mention the idea of an “authorized” version of Law of Attraction. How is that version different from other versions? And why does it matter?
KEYWORDS: Abraham-Hicks, Ask and It Is Given, authorized version, Esther Hicks, Jane Roberts, law of attraction, manifesting, Seth, Seth Speaks.
The authorized version of the Law of Attraction is an important concept to know about. For all versions of the Law of Attraction are not the same.
So in this article I will describe how the versions are different, and why this is so important to know about for students who really want to master the Law of Attraction.
- PART 1: WHY THE AUTHORIZED VERSION IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL TO MANIFESTING
- 1.1 Not Knowing about Law of Attraction
- 1.2 Not Knowing the Right Version of Law of Attraction
- 1.3 The Abundance of Non-Authorized Versions
- PART 2: AUTHORIZED VS. NON-AUTHORIZED VERSIONS
- 2.1 Why “Authorized” and “Non-Authorized”?
- 2.2 Required: Knowledge of All That Is
- PART 3: THE NON-AUTHORIZED VERSIONS OF LAW OF ATTRACTION
- 3.1 Interesting Reading
- 3.2 Examples of Non-Authorized Versions
- PART 4: THE AUTHORIZED VERSION OF LAW OF ATTRACTION
- 4.1 Two Flavors
- 4.2 The Authorized Books
- 4.3 More Authorized Books
PART 1: WHY THE AUTHORIZED VERSION IS ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL TO MANIFESTING
The number of people who have “failed” manifesting the things that they want to manifest is an astronomical one. Why? Because they don’t know how to do it.
Not Knowing about Law of Attraction
The first reason why some don’t know how to do it is because they don’t know about the Law of Attraction at all. Or perhaps they have heard about it, but have decided that it is not for them, for some reason.
So the reason that these people have “failed” manifesting what they desire is because they don’t know how to do it. Whatever lifestyle they are living, and whatever “exercises” they are doing (whether mental or physical, etc.), they still don’t get what they want. Or they may get some “small” things, but not those “big” things that they desire the most, that they have been yearning for, for so long.
And because the overwhelming majority of people on this planet are on the negative half of the negativity-positivity spectrum (NP scale; NP spectrum) — that is, in a state of perceived lack — they will mostly continue to manifest the lack of what they want, not that which they want.
Not Knowing the Right Version of Law of Attraction
A second reason why one might “fail” manifesting those things that one desires is if one uses the wrong version of Law of Attraction.
For all versions of the Law of Attraction are not created equal. Sure there may be some things that are common in all of the existing versions (such as, for example, the core idea that the Universe bounces back similar vibrations to those energy vibrations that we ourselves constantly emit).
But apart from that, there is an abundance of variations in describing what is going on in Universe, and, especially, how we humans should “use” the Law of Attraction to get tangible results.
So if the student of the Law of Attraction gets hold of some material describing a method of “using” the Law of Attraction that actually doesn’t work, what are the chances that he or she will succeed in manifesting those things that they want?
The Abundance of Non-Authorized Versions
What exacerbates the issue is also that there are so many of these non-authorized versions of the Law of Attraction in circulation. So whether we are talking about printed books, or audio books, or just articles on various websites, etc., the overwhelming majority of Law of Attraction material is of the non-authorized variety.
This means that it is not very easy, for a beginner, to actually end up with an account of the Law of Attraction that is correct. Since most such titles are non-authorized, the descriptions of the principles of the Law of Attraction, and the methods of how to use it, are typically abridged or distorted, or otherwise manipulated.
This then more or less guarantees that the prospective student will not be able to manifest those things that he or she really wants to “materialize”.
PART 2: AUTHORIZED VS. NON-AUTHORIZED VERSIONS
The focus in Part 2 is on the authorized version of Law of Attraction: What is it, exactly? Why is it called “authorized”? And how is it different from non-authorized accounts of the Law of Attraction?
Why “Authorized” and “Non-Authorized”?
The reason I am talking about the terms “authorized” and “non-authorized” is because there is a big difference in “knowledge quality”. It is, as an academic philosopher might have put it, “an epistemological issue”. [note 1]
The whole idea here is that Law of Attraction purports to describe a “universal law”. The problem, however, is that this “universal law” is not just referring to our physical space-time reality; it also refers to all other types of non-physical environments and dimensions that we, as humans, know nothing about.
These non-physical dimensions and environments are basically out of our reach. Sure, we may get some glimpses here and there, and we may sense, with our feelings and our daydreams, various other “worlds” out there. But in terms of being able to describe and explain how all these existences and universes and non-physical dimensions, and all eternal beings in them, all interact and relate to each other, we, as humans, cannot do it.
When we are reincarnating as human beings on this planet, we are, simultaneously, also temporarily “hiding” our knowledge and vision of all those other dimensions and existences and eternal beings. For otherwise, we would not be able to focus on our job here on Earth, as “desire seekers” and “adventure explorers” and “happiness growers”.
Required: Knowledge of All That Is
In other words, knowing the full story of Law of Attraction requires knowledge about All That Is. And that knowledge must be transmitted directly from the spiritual world, from a perspective where all information about all beings and all universes and all events is readily available.
But most authors of the Law of Attraction books and courses do not have such qualities. Thus, what they are writing about is mostly modifications of other human writers, perhaps with some additional speculations added to it. So, overall, human writers cannot be trusted in terms of how the Law of Attraction works.
And because of that, human writers also cannot be trusted in terms of what kind of methods we should use to benefit from the Law of Attraction. Because if they don’t know all the details about All That Is, and how the Law of Attraction really works, it is extremely unlikely that the methods that they prescribe are working.
Therefore, the ONLY way to understand, and to “use”, the Law of Attraction must be to reject the non-authorized versions, and instead embrace the authorized account.
PART 3: THE NON-AUTHORIZED VERSIONS OF LAW OF ATTRACTION
As I have previously pointed out, most so-called Law of Attraction books out there are non-authorized versions of Law of Attraction. And this means, practically speaking, that some of the information that they give is simply not correct.
Another aspect of such books and material is that of “omission”. For it is very common to see that all, or most, spiritual aspects of the Law of Attraction are omitted, or forgotten, or edited away, etc.
Because of this, such authors cannot explain how the Law of Attraction really works. For if you don’t include concepts such as the Vortex, or our Inner Being (God), and their connection to our life here on planet Earth, you cannot really explain, or understand, how everything hangs together. What is the meaning of our manifestations? What is the purpose of life? Why do we keep reincarnating?
Having classified most Law of Attraction books as “non-authorized” does not, however, mean that you should not read them. We all need variety in terms of writing style and perspective.
And many of the non-authorized Law of Attraction books that I mention below are worth reading. Some are very well written, some are entertaining, and some are less so.
The general point I am making, though, is that even if you may be reading them, you cannot really trust them in all details. So before you “cement” your belief about their theory, or about their suggestion of what your daily practices should be, be sure to double- and triple-check those statements and those suggested practices with the authorized version of the Law of Attraction.
Examples of Non-Authorized Versions
As I have said many times already, there are a lot of non-authorized versions out there. So the following examples are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
The Secret. Rhonda Byrne (1951-) has sold millions of copies of her book The Secret. And the film she made was also very popular. Nevertheless, The Secret is a non-authorized version of the Law of Attraction. It may work as a rough sketch to what Law of Attraction is. But it is, for most people, not conducive to getting manifestation to work. And it contains practically no information about God, Inner Being, the Vortex, other universes and dimensions, afterlife, birth and death, reincarnation, karma, purpose and meaning of life, or any such matters.
The Science of Getting Rich. Wallace D. Wattles’s (1860-1911) book The Science of Getting Rich (also titled Financial Success Through the Power of Creative Thought) hardly mentions the main law of attraction principle. As he says himself, “This book is pragmatical, not philosophical; a practical manual, not a treatise upon theories”. It focuses on how to think in various situations in order to succeed in manifesting money and wealth.
Think and Grow Rich. Napoleon Hill’s (1883-1970) book Think and Grow Rich contains (unlike The Science of Getting Rich) more theory and speculation about thoughts, desires and processes: “thoughts are things” (p. 19); Repetitions of affirmations . . . is the only known method” (p. 50). This book uses the method of telling many stories about people’s lives in order to “explain” or “indicate” how they achieved success.
Psycho-Cybernetics. Maxwell Maltz’s (1899-1975) best-selling book Psycho-Cybernetics is a very interesting read. It introduces concepts such as “the success mechanism within you” (p. 15), “dehypnotize yourself from false beliefs” (p. 48) and “that winning feeling” (223). It is doubtful, though, whether any reader actually may manifest anything substantial using this title.
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success. Deepak Chopra’s (1946-) book The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success presents various “universal laws” that, as the full title suggests, are supposed to constitute “A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams”. Some of these laws have nothing to do with the authorized version of the Law of Attraction teaches, and may actually contradict it, if investigated further. In my opinion, few people will be manifesting their dreams with the help of this book.
The Prosperity Bible. This is a collection of the most popular non-authorized accounts of the Law of Attraction. So here we have Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles, The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel, and many more. All in all, there are 19 books presented in this “bible”. Note, though, that because of its 1272 pages, it is very heavy, and practically impossible to hold in one’s hand for any length time. So for me, at least, it is only a reference volume, not a reading copy.
PART 4: THE AUTHORIZED VERSION OF LAW OF ATTRACTION
The authorized versions of the Law of Attraction are those works which are authored by energy beings communicating directly to us here on Earth via “translators” or “mediums” or “channelers”.
Although I usually talk about the authorized version of Law of Attraction in singular number, there are actually two accounts, with some small differences. The differences are minimal in terms of the basic structure and function and architecture of All That Is and the Law of Attraction. Consequently, I shall therefore not call them versions, but simply varieties.
The first variety of the authorized version of the Law of Attraction is the one spoken by Seth, using Jane Roberts (1929-1984) as the channeling medium. These sessions went on from 1963 to 1984.
The second variety of the authorized version of the Law of Attraction is the one spoken by Abraham-Hicks, using Esther Hicks (1948-) as the channeling medium. These sessions started in 1985, and still go on in various forms, both as online seminars and in-person workshops.
The Authorized Books
The Seth corpus and the Abraham-Hicks corpus contain an enormous amount of material. In fact, so much that it is impossible for a single person like myself to ever have the time to really cover it all.
Just the Seth corpus contains several dozens of books, as well as some audio recordings. And the Abraham-Hicks corpus contains not only their main six books, but an absolutely huge collection of thousands of hours of recordings, which is constantly added to.
For the beginner, then, it is important to get hold of the right books (or audio material). Here is one book by each author that I believe may be suitable for a beginning student of the Law of Attraction.
Seth Speaks. The best introduction to the Seth material is the book Seth Speaks. In that book, Seth introduces himself properly, describing who he is, and thereafter starts talking about our Earthly world, the universe, reincarnation, the history of man, and a thousand other things that are relevant to our place in All That Is.
Ask and It Is Given. The best book to start with in the case of Abraham-Hicks is probably Ask and It Is Given. Here they introduce us to the idea of creating our own reality. They also stress the point that we are energy beings with a vibration, and that we constantly are connected to our Inner Being (God) at all times. And they present 22 processes that may help us manifest our desires.
More Authorized Books
I also have a few separate “best books” articles where I go into more details about what each book contains.
In my first “best books” article, called Best Books on the Law of Attraction, I list four different books by Seth and six books by Abraham-Hicks, with a dozen or so descriptions of the contents of each volume. These are all targeted at getting a general idea of the Law of Attraction.
In my second “best books” article, called Best Books on Manifesting Better Health with Law of Attraction, I instead focus on the idea of how to create better health. And with that aim, I am introducing two books by Seth and five books by Abraham-Hicks. And just as in my first “best books” article, I am here presenting a dozen or so topics for each book, so that you can get an idea of what kind of material they contain.
It is of great importance to know the difference between the authorized version of the Law of Attraction and other, non-authorized versions. For if you are using non-authorized versions of the Law of Attraction, then it almost guarantees that your manifestations will not be optimal, or be manifested at all.
Therefore, the prudent student of Law of Attraction more or less ignores all those books and materials that are classified as the non-authorized versions. Instead, he or she carefully studies the material in the authorized version of the Law of Attraction, which accurately depicts the Law of Attraction as it is, and consequently maximizes the student’s chances of generating pleasing manifestations.
- The adjective “epistemological” is derived from the noun “epistemology”, i.e., the theory of knowledge. From Gr. episteme, “knowledge” or “science”.
- Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks (2004), Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires. Foreword by Wayne W. Dyer. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc. [Link to book]
- Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks (2006), The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent: Living the Art of Allowing. Foreword by Louise L. Hay. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc. [Link to book]
- Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks (2006), The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham. Foreword by Neale Donald Walsch. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc. [Link to book]
- Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks (2007), The Astonishing Power of Emotions: Let Your Feelings Be Your Guide. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc. [Link to book]
- Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks (2008), Money, and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Wealth, Health, and Happiness. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc. [Link to book]
- Hicks, Esther and Jerry Hicks (2019), The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, Inc. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1994), Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul. A Seth Book. Notes and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Reprint edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing; and Novato, CA: New World Library. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1994), The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know. A Seth Book. Notes and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Reprint edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing; and San Rafael, CA: New World Library. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1995), The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events. A Seth Book. Notes and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Reissue edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1995), The Magical Approach: Seth Speaks about the Art of Creative Living. A Seth Book. Foreword, notes, and cover art by Robert F. Butts. First edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing; and Novato, CA: New World Library. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1996), The Nature of the Psyche: Its Human Expression. A Seth Book. Notes and cover art by Rober F. Butts. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1996), The “Unknown” Reality. A Seth Book. Volume One. Introductory notes, notes, and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Reissue edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1997), The “Unknown” Reality. A Seth Book. Volume Two. Introductory notes, epilogue, notes, and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Revised edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1997), Dreams, “Evolution,” and Value Fulfillment. A Seth Book. Volume One. Introductory essays, notes, and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Revised edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1997), Dreams, “Evolution,” and Value Fulfillment. A Seth Book. Volume Two. Introduction, commentary, notes, and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Revised edition. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (1997), The Way Toward Health. A Seth Book. Foreword, epilogue, notes, and cover art by Robert F. Butts. Illustrated edition [with photographs of Jane Roberts and Robert F. Butts]. San Rafael, CA: Amber-Allen Publishing. [Link to book]
- Roberts, Jane (2010), The Seth Material: The Spiritual Teacher That Launched the New Age. A Seth Book. Introduction by Raymond van Over. First edition. Manhasset, NY: New Awareness Network, Inc. [Link to book]
NOTE: All links are clean (i.e. NOT affiliate links).